Monday, March 14, 2011

Memory Monday....to be a woman of the Word.

One thing that I have been challenged by over the last year or so at my church is how much scripture our pastors have memorized! Even in casual conversation they use passage and reference! They are men of the Word! My first impression months ago after meeting our Senior Pastor was "wow, I WANT THAT!" So after letting it go for several months, I again was faced with it this weekend and decided I can't live with the conviction any longer, so I'm taking action.
Over the course of a Royal Servants summer each student has a list of things that get memorized and several years ago, I came up with "Memory Mondays" to quiz our students throughout the summer so they weren't cramming the last week before the major test.
Memorization is hard. It takes work, and it takes diligence! Many of our students liked memorizing scripture but because it was difficult and not passing meant missing out on free time, Memory Monday was not exactly looked forward to! Some students came back to me after the summers and said "LB, I HATED memory Mondays, but I'm glad you made us do it because I still know most of those verses we learned!"
Becoming a woman of the Word isn't just going to happen because i want it to. no amount of my "want" will make it so. it requires my action. A quote by Rick Warren was re-tweeted by someone i follow the other day "Real maturity is never the result of a single experience, no matter how powerful or moving. Growth is gradual."

So now i set out, for gradual growth, the desire is that in the end i am more like Christ and have the knowledge of the Word.
Memory Mondays start today. If you'd like to join me in memorizing scripture, check out the Memory Monday Facebook group!

1 comment:

Bryana said...

oh yeah! I'll do it with you!