Sunday, July 31, 2011

Flyin home.

9 hours into a 10.5 hour flight really gives you some time to think. First, I’m grateful that we didn’t have a layover in London and that we are flying directly to Chicago from Rome. But more importantly, I’m grateful for an amazing time of ministry with some amazing contacts, outstanding staff disciplers, hard working, positive students, and a great cast of senior staff. Don’t get me wrong, the summers always offer their unique challenges, and this summer had a few. Overall it was a successful summer that offered many opportunities for our team to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ boldly, to grow in our walk with the creator of the universe, and have an amazing time with a solid team of like minded people in Rome.


Now I know that I’m not always an overly emotional person (except when I’m watching movies or select tv shows of course) but it’s hard to say good bye to this crew. As I hugged them goodbye, some for the last time, I felt the full weight of how honored I am to get to be living my dream job. I just spent two months on taking mission trip of quality high school and college students to Rome. I get PAID to do this. Yes, sometimes it is hard support raising and stuff, but it is SO worth it. I had the chance to watch this group grow in their faith in such cool ways. I love getting to sit down and talk about what is going on in their lives and what God is doing to challenge the ways they have previously thought and lived. Even the “really good” kids are often profoundly impacted and have their hearts shaken even more for the cause of Christ.

And now the finances are balanced, the medical logs completed, last bit of paperwork given back and major goodbyes done… and with that, Another summer in the books. And as I find myself on this long flight it’s been a perfect moment to reflect before diving headlong into the busy that awaits when my flight touches down in Minneapolis tonight.

Suzanne once gave me a great analogy, I’m now in the blank space between the end of one chapter and the top of the page which will start the next. August has Halbleib’s wedding, a vacation in Florida, young adults retreat at church, and a bit of time at home in Indiana before my Midwest visiting of likely Rockford and Wisconsin. Then, before I know it, September will be here and a completely new chapter for me with Reign Ministries begins. I’m not sure I know a ton, but I know this about the next chapter: I want to live life to it’s absolute fullest, I want to love others with all that I am, and I want to glorify God in every aspect of it all.

No comments: