Friday, July 15, 2011

Prego...More than a pasta sauce in Italy....

The church here in Dragonia is inside of a compound which also houses an apartment building with 3 families from the church. The hospitality of our neighbors is OVERWHELMING. They have insisted on us using and eating everything they own. I'm typing this toay from an auning in the shade of Ester's porch. She lives here with her husband, parents, and sister. What an amazing family. a few minutes ago Giovani (her dad, who speaks very little english) came out to the porch an said to me "PREGO!" saying you're welcome to be here.
I was working on their porch the other day when Ester came out with a bottle of cold water to make sure I wasn't thirsty in the humid italian heat. It kills them to think I'd be anything but perfectly comfortable. They HATE that we eat lunch meat sandwiches and malto meal and if we didn't resist, they'd cook every meal we eat.
The hospitality and generosity of the people in the church has lead to many amazing times of fellowship which almost ALWAYS include a large italian meal. I am forever ruined for Lasagna.... Stoufers will no longer do it for me :) when i asked Ester if i could help cook so i could learn a few tips she said no because they were going to be cooking for 2 days and didn't think i could be away from the team that long!
Our team's schedule has been quite full! in the mornings we're up, ready, eaten and out the door by 8am ready to jump into ministry. a group has been heading into central Rome to the Universities. They walk around the campus and strike up conversations with the students (many of them speak english). God has given our team many amazing conversations and even a handful of people who have committed their lives to Christ!!! The rest of the team (about 7) have stayed here at the church helping run a VBS for the kids in the area. It has been fun to teach them songs in english and help them learn their memory verses in Italian. Everyone then comes back for a siesta and some free time before heading back out around 4:30 to different parks and piazzas in the area to do our street ministry performances. Our students are sharing BOLDLY and i couldn't be more proud as i watch them every day not only share their faith, but grow in it through times in the word and teachings. We get home late and don't normally eat dinner till close to 9 and bed time is rarely before 11:30pm. but I have not heard any complaints!
I have not gotten to be with the team when they're out doing ministry as much as i normally like because I'm pulling double duty as our team medical person and finance person. Unfortunatly we have had to take a few doctor runs. Praise God though that everyone is alright and they've only been minor issues. And as far as keeping the books? well that takes me a little longer than the average person.... for those of you who know me well, know that math is NOT my strong suit. But so far, I haven't LOST any money (i have however managed to gain some... go figure. Maybe I'm better at this than i thought!)
The mosquitoes here make me think i'm back in MN! I am glad I enforced a madatory purchase for hydocortizone cream for our team at walmart before heading over, we've all got at least a few bits on our ankles, lets, arms, or randomly on my middle toe. (i know right?)
As usual, one of my favorite things about Rome is the art and history of the place. I've got my Rick Steve's audio tours on my ipod and i give mini tours to our team as we see the different sights of Rome. Looking at some things here finds my gaze on objects from the time of Christ and BEFORE! The cathedrals and basilicas are beautiful but at the same time heart breaking. The people don't realize that they don't need to work for their salvation, that God offers it as a free Gift through the sending of his son Jesus Christ. We as believers don't do "good things" because we're supposed to, but because we desire to be more in the likeness of God who has given us eternal life.
I hope this post find you doing well, I do have my email and I would love to hear from you.
Your prayers are felt, don't stop :)

Check out more of my pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.556240648759.2048456.163800297&l=20b008f6f0


PS. if my spelling is bad, i'm sorry. my spellcheck is in Italian so it's saying every word is wrong except the italian ones :)

1 comment:

Bryana said...

Happy! I miss you and wish I was with you....always...