Friday, October 19, 2012

Ukulele

I have big news... No, I'm still single. No, I'm not moving. I have now learned how to play the ukulele! Surprised? I've gotten a variety of reactions, my favorite so far was, "I'm SO not shocked that I'm ACTUALLY surprised I didn't think of it first." (Thanks B)
I've been asking God for joy and in faith and for the fruits of discipline to be a result of the power of the Holy Spirit in me!
Here's the story: I've ALWAYS been jealous of people who can play the guitar. I want so badly to be able to go away, close a door and spend time worshiping the Lord! But the several times I've tried to pick up the skill... Well lets just say I didn't get far. So I thought about it, what could I play in worship? And it hit me! Ukuleles only have 4 strings and a MUCH smaller neck! So I set out! I was astonished that as I committed the time playing to the Lord, it didn't seem tedious, but exciting! I WANTED to push, I wanted to play till my fingers hurt so I could build callouses and play even better! God gave me the discipline and desire and in only 3 weeks I had a book full of worships songs that I could play and worship with!
Three weeks in I decided it was time to buy my own. (I had borrowed a friend's). I had Christmas/birthday money saved and it only took one trip to one store to find the beautiful instrument I now call my own. I decided I needed to name it! In the midst of all the transition in life recently, our bible study dissolved. Not for ANY bad reason, it's just that transitional season of life for those of us single in our late 20's. We are just finishing studying Isaiah and I decided I wanted my uke to be named after someone in the book of Isaiah! So I chose the name: Remaliah- meaning "Yahweh Adorned"
I now worship the Lord, on Remeliah daily! Excited to finally be able to worship Him in this new way.
All glory to Him as I find joy in faith and allow the Spirit to drive my discipline!

No comments: