Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Celebrating 26 full rotations around the sun.....

Today I have officially completed my trip around the sun 26 times, seeing the light of day 9497 times. It's interesting to look back and see just how much can be done in that time. I can't decide to feel young or old. Over a quarter of a century yet, God willing, plenty of years left to live. If you were to ask me 20 years ago where I thought I would be at the age of 26, I would have probably laughed at you, cause who asks that specific of a question to a six year old... but my answer would have probably been plain and simple... one word... RICH! I had a strange obsession with money, I liked hiding it around the house so that no one could find it, and I NEVER liked to spend it. I'm not sure what I thought it would get me to have money sitting around that I would never use.... but over the years as I grew I cared less and less about hiding change around the house, and more and more about people. Somewhere in the last 9497 days, I knew I would end up in a job where I could interact a lot with people... some time later, I realized it would be with younger people, then I realized it would be with teenagers, then on July 17,2002 I realized it would be in full time ministry. Finally, it was not just full time ministry, but full time missions. I couldn't be more happy with the direction in my life that God has taken me. I haven't always understood (and I won't pretend to understand now) what God is up to in my life.
But I know this now: I moved to Minneapolis to join a missions organization that I not only believe passionately in, but am a product of. I came here not knowing exactly how it would work out and finding each month that trusting God is how the bills get paid and how food shows up at meal times. I have found that my housing situation was unsure at best, only to now be set up with an amazing apartment, with an amazing sister in Christ, in an amazing location at a price that is completely do-able. You can't sit and tell me God has had nothing to do with it.
25 has been an amazing year. a HUGE time of growth, stretching, trust and faith. A time of tremendous victories and some painful failures. I don't pretend to be perfect, but I can honestly say that today, I am more like Jesus Christ than I was one year ago today, and that's the goal: to look more and more like him with each passing day.
Genesis 22:14b "On the mountain of the LORD, it will be provided." not just financially, not just pragmatically, but spiritually, emotionally, physically. God, the great provider, Jehovah-jireh.

No comments: