Tuesday, December 21, 2010

SNOW!!!

One of the interesting things about driving on unplowed roads after about 6 inches of snow has fallen is that you get to make up your own lanes. It's strange really, but in NW Indiana, it snows that much and people just kind of stay inside, or slide into the ditch.Not here! I drove to visit my friend Christie last night to catch up on life and watch the Bears CLINCH (!) and it was almost funny to me, there was not ONE person in the ditch, I was shocked. And while some of the drive was a little slow, I just cranked the worship music and enjoyed my time in the car.
Getting to see the Bears clinch the NFC north and secure a spot in the playoffs was a satisfying moment after watching them go into almost every game as the underdog :) But as AMAZING as that was (and it was) I really enjoyed hanging out with my long lost friend Christie. Ok, so she's not really a long lost one, but when we met in Africa we became fast friends. It was fun for me to meet a friend who is in a similar life situation, single female missionary seeking God's will for daily life. It got me thinking a lot about community and the importance of it and the different stages of it that I've been in. Authentic community is something that I desperately long for, something I need as I move through life in ministry. Sometimes I've had it close by, and other times I've had it far away over the phone or skype. I prefer to have it close by but sometimes that's just not the season God has me in. I am blessed to have several friends who I consider true community, a few close by and several around the world. Thanks God for good friends.

1 comment:

Christie said...

I cannot tell you how thankful I am that you showed up on the veranda of my hut one sunny, hot, humid afternoon. Blizzards or heat waves... knowing we can connect- challenge and encourage each other- is something I will always cherish. EVEN IF YOU ARE A BEARS FAN!!!! Let's keep seeking that community in whatever form God brings it to us. There is a reason we were created this way.